Thursday, June 30, 2011

My take on DI surgery

*I wrote this blog a while back and found it in my drafts.  I'll go ahead and post it as I want to get my story out from my point of view.  I'll update some more later*

Ok, now I want to talk about the surgery itself.  As much as I researched, as much as I talked with other guys, as much as the surgeon tried to explain everything in detail....I wasn't prepared for the recovery, not at all.  Now in the past I've considered myself to have a mild pain tolerance.  I don't like pain but when it happens I can suffer thorough it.  And I was a good patient.  I stayed down and chill for the first two weeks.  Then I started slowly getting around.  I wanted to be so careful as to make sure I got the best results possible.  Then I hit my 6 week mark and thought that was it.  I had the notion that at 6 weeks it all magically healed and I was perfect again.  So around that next week I needed to get back to work...well, work that I can get anyway.  I'm doing gardening for home gardeners.  I only worked about 10 hours over 2 days which isn't much. But man did I pay for it.  I was swollen and had the most pain since the surgery...more even because first couple of weeks after surgery as I was on morphine and felt no pain!
So I'll be honest...I've been incredibly frustrated at how long it has taken.  All the meanwhile my sweet nurse girlfriend kept trying to tell me these things but I just thought I was different, I was strong and healthy.  Ugh, don't fool yourselves.  Listen to your body.  Mine was bitching and moaning longer than I ever expected. 

No comments: