Monday, April 5, 2010

Food for my soul!

I was fed on Saturday by the sweet nectar of one of Arkansas best kept secrets. (hopefully) The sweet waters of the Mulberry. Kayaking revives my soul, makes me smile, and really is something that is in my blood, from the first time riding in my Dad's kayak out in the ocean with him. When I was very little, he would put me inside but once I got older, I would ride on the back just on the top.

So even though I was sick for two freaking days...a cold, and quite a nasty one, I got out ON THE WATER! I got the call on Friday asking if I was game...and at the time, I thought shit, I'm sick I really shouldn't. It rained quite a bit on Friday so I knew the water would be flowing and COLD! Meaning...if I fell over, I would be frozen till we got to the take out. That isn't the best recipe for recovering from a cold. But, I just figured what the hell.

We decided on a short trip because it was last minute planning. And the river was at 4 ft which is for experienced boaters only. That way, if one of us fucked up and dumped, we wouldn't be uncomfortable ALL day.
At first when we reached the put in spot I was a wee bit apprehensive. All these folks had their little white water boats with helmets and all the gear. I had my boat, my skirt, and I did have better preps for cold water than my crew but it still was no wet suit! But I didn't care, the sun was out, it was about 68 degrees, and we were about to ride the rapids!

I wore my binder to see how it does in wet conditions. It fared ok but as the day wore on, I felt it sort of conformed to my body more than normal rather than compressing areas of discomfort. So, by the end of the trip, my moobs were somewhat obvious. But I didn't care, I used the men's room anyway. I figured fuck it, it's a camp ground for god sake....who's going to freak out there. As it turns out, there wasn't a line or anything so I was in the clear. haha
I think I love kayaking so much because it's basically a gender neutral event. Well, unless you do the Elk in southern Missouri, then it's obvious what gender you are because lots of the women are showing what god gave them.....and NO I didn't look.

Anyway, kayaking has never made me feel "like a girl" or a guy for that matter. I'm good enough at it so gender isn't an issue. Now, it will be WAY more fun someday in the hot summers when I can go without a shirt! (Top surgery, Yea!!!! Stay tuned for my fundraiser button) That will just make things complete! And legal since in my younger "girl" years I've been known to kayak topless anyway...which is real embarrassing when you meet a friend of your brothers for what you think is the first time, but his first memory of me is on the river........WITHOUT MY SHIRT ON!

No comments: