Thursday, June 17, 2010

So, once again...another hurdle jumped!

Two days before my first boithday, I decided to go to my job's HR department and spill the beans. Luckily our HR director is a highly intelligent accepting human being, at least with his HR hat on, but something tells me that's really him. Ok, anyway I went to him after I printed out some info from HRC's website about transitioning at work. Basically I just said, I am trans-gender. This has been a realization I've been coming to grips with for 5 years now and now I'm to the point where changes are becoming apparent and I will be changing my documentation in the very near future. I went in there to tell him but also to ask his advice on how we should proceed with this delicate situation. His answer was very frank, honest, and incredibly reassuring. He said get your ducks all in a row (meaning my paperwork) and we will just do it! No questions asked. He would send out an all staff email telling people what the expectations would be. He basically made it seem too easy. But I trust him and understand his line of thinking. If I have all the paperwork to change the legal side of my employment, i.e. tax papers, then all should be good to go. Make it easy on that side and it should be easy on my side. Basically fire K and rehire J! ha
Now, we know it won't be that simple. But I understand his logic. That if I do everything HR needs to make it "legal" then it would be harder to balk I suppose.
So we'll see...one more thing out of the way. Now, work on getting my surgery then paperwork and then it's a go for work.
Ok, so now some of you might ask what my "boithday" is. Well, a year ago this coming Saturday, I took a shot in my ass that changed my life for the better, made me fell more like who I really am. I have felt so good this past year. I mean, it hasn't come without struggle and won't continue without some struggle but I am pleased with the decision to go ahead with my transition. At first when I was coming to grips with my trans-gender issues, I'd think I would just be me and not do hormone therapy or surgery, but as time went by I found that it was becoming harder to be me without medical assistance. And I'm so happy with me and the me to come! Ok, I quit typing me, oops there it is again. ha
I will celebrate Saturday with guys from my FTM group and their families. Some of them I have yet to meet. So, though this is a monumental occasion and I will be spending it with some folks I don't yet know, that is just fine by me! Plus I'm getting chocolate cake....Hello! Awesome!
Later,
Jack

3 comments:

Amanda Apple said...

I'm so incredibly proud and excited for you. What an amazing journey this has been for you both!!

Stephanie King said...

Congrats Jack! I'm so proud of you! We need to get together soon sir.

Jack said...

Thanks Foo, and Yes Steph, we sooo do! And I hate when I reread my stuff, I already caught a typo and wasn't even done...argh...I do know the difference between feel and fell. :(