Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nomenclature or something of the sort….

So recently a friend decided on his name. That got me thinking I need to seriously come to my naming decision. My problem is that my brother got the family name, the good one anyway. I’ve been rattling ones around….my girl middle name was Lynn. That’s a unisex name. But then my name would be Jack Lynn…get it? Jacqueline? Or some shit…Nope, not that one. Then I started thinking about family names, not the one my brother got but other family names. My paternal grandfather’s name was Mack…so Jack Mack, nope. My paternal grandmother’s maiden name was Russell, so Jack Russell…um, no way! See how difficult this is?
Grrr, it’s about to make my head explode! And my girl is so sweet about it. She tries to help when it comes up. She’s thrown some ideas out there but I just haven’t heard it, the one…the middle name that in the scheme of things doesn’t really matter. So I’ve tried to be strangely logical with things like looking at what my monogram would be. Do I want it to say something or look really cool in old English style script? I mean, because if you know me, you know everything I own is monogrammed…..not! Plus the first letter will be J and the last will be G, so that doesn’t leave very good options for actual words. JOG? So, let’s go with Owen, which was an uncle of mine. Nope, what about Oscar? That was my favorite sesame street character. Oh man, JUG, that could work. I mean a jug of beer or milk. Rhymes with chug, something I’ve never been good at. Oh the brain, my brain….turn it off! U names are quite hard to come up with. How about Uriah, after Uriah Heep, the 70’s English band or Uriah Faber, the California kid, WEC fighter.
See, I am getting nowhere. I look at baby name books to no avail; I glaze over at about the letter F. I’ve thought hard about using Aaron. It rhymes with my girl name and I guess would sound ok with my first name. The problem is I feel it’s too normal, to plain. And I have to say, my first name is a bit plain so I wanted to mix it up with my middle name by making it something unusual. I’ve even thought of my favorite characters out of movies. Yoda is my favorite movie character. But it doesn’t flow together well at all. Other than that, it would be John from the movie the Hunger, and that would break all my personal rules.
It all boils down to this…all my life, I have felt like my girl name was plain, boring and just downright meaningless due to the fact that it’s so 70’s and dull. No one in my family has my legal name. And though my brother was born after me, he got the cool family name. So, add another chip to my shoulder, ha. Oh well, maybe I should just do a dart board method. Or maybe just maybe I should chill the F out and let it come. I can’t really do anything till I have surgery anyway, and I have my first and last so maybe I should be crazy and defiant and leave it at that. Or pull a prince move and create a symbol, course it better be a wingding font so I can print it out for the judge.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Haha, ok...addendum. After writing the blog, I went to an online baby name site just to look and guess what I found?

YODA

Warrior, One Who Knows

Origin: American


SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coy said...

Bo, of course, votes Jack Yoda. My favorite boy names are Graham and Wyatt. I figure since Bo is going to get the big Vasectomy, I won't be needing those.

Jack said...

@Coy...Gotta love Bo, he's got my back! I do like both of your choices...but...you never know what may happen. ;) Liam was another suggestion...I'm partial to that so far....